Sustainability in Higher Education Developers (SHED) Group
SHED is the leading cross sector Community of Practice in the UK for Education for Sustainability (EfS).
SHED comprises around three hundred higher and further education staff who specialise in EfS or incorporate sustainability issues in their work. SHED is a joint collaboration of the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges and the Higher Education Academy.
As SHED is a joint HEA and EAUC group, we have two convenors to reflect both organisations.
Dr Zoe Robinson, Director of Education for Sustainability, at Keele University is the EAUC co-convenor.
Simon Kemp was the HEA co-convenor and Academic Lead for Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) for the Higher Education Academy (HEA). We are eagerly waiting the new HEA appointee who will join Zoe.
View convenor biographies
SHED aims in brief
• Disseminating information about Education for Sustainability in higher/further education
• Stimulating discussion about the principles behind EfS
• Holding up a critical lens to the concept of EfS and its alternatives
• Connecting EfS to wider educational concerns such as leadership and global citizenship
• Sharing and monitoring strategies for organisational change.
Read the full SHED aims here
Communication and meetings
Communication occurs primarily through a moderated JISCmail group, where any member can send out information or resources to the group.
Face-to-face meetings will be arranged at major educational conferences, and occasional virtual workshops will be held to bring members together to reflect on the first principles and future of Education for Sustainability.
Although there is no direct funding associated with being a member of the group, it provides excellent networking and potential collaborative opportunities between members.
Not signed up? Join here
How to search for previous discussions
We know that there are many topics that come up regularly on the discussion networks so here is a quick and easy guide on how to search for previous discussions:
- Go to https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ and click on ‘Subscribers Corner’
- Click on the discussion network you would like to search – ‘SHED-Share’ is the list for this Discussion Network
- The three ‘Latest messages’ are shown in a box near the top of the page. Click the message to read the entire post.
- To search the list for a particular topic use the 'Search Archive' box on the right-hand side of the screen. Type the keyword/s you would like to search for and this will bring up a list of all posts containing that word/phrase.
- You can further refine your search by adding parameters.
SHED is open to non-EAUC Members but if you'd like to delve deeper into EfS or other key interest areas you may have, join our community and access the full benefits of EAUC Membership.