Why LiFE is for Colleges
The economic and social contribution of Further Education colleges in the communities they serve is huge. Yet sector restructuring and the relentless pressure to reduce costs often means the sustainability focus is on saving money on energy costs. While LiFE does provide a structure to further reduce estate costs it also provides a simple and easy to communicate framework to link and build college social, economic and environmental activities and aspirations in a more strategic way.
LiFE makes it easier to engage and get support from students, colleagues, employers and the wider community. Also LiFE helps you make, and show, the connections between what you do, build momentum and report on your college’s performance.
LiFE is a simple tool that will bring direct benefits to your college. These benefits include the ability to:
- Go beyond environmental performance to evaluate wider social sustainability
- Actively manage and improve your environmental and social responsibility performance by setting targets and monitoring your progress
- Engage with colleagues and students beyond sustainability champions - use it to engage your Senior Management Team
- Use LiFE to complement other activity e.g. an environmental management system or UCCCfS and LiFE can provide your institution with a central view as it offers a dashboard to pull all planning and activity together
- Engage with a community of participants through EAUC Membership, which will help you to share ideas and good practice.