Sustainability Report 2016
We try to minimise our carbon foot print as much as possible, however as with any organisation we do still have a carbon footprint. We continue to offset this using ClimateCare. We will offset 12.9 tonnes of carbon dioxide for our 2016 impact (12,954 tonnes). We choose ClimateCare because they are a world leader in the carbon offset market and our money is invested in projects which not only cut carbon but also improve lives in the areas in which they operate.
Our carbon footprint has decreased by 40% and is 12,954 tonnes for 2016
The main decrease on our carbon footprint is due to less international travel.
Our staff full time equivalent decreased from 9.32 to 8.89
Less than 1% of our waste goes to landfill.
|Staff (FTE||Total Carbon Emissions (kgCO2)||Carbon Emissions per FTE (kgCO2/FTE)||Income per annum £||Carbon Emissions per unit of income (kgCO2/£)||GIA (m2)|
|% increase/ decrease||-5%||-40%||-33%||0%||-36%||-36%|
Breakdown of our carbon
|Heating & Lighting||4,330||33||5,289||24||-959||-18|
|Office Area (m2)||Electricity||Gas||Water||Travel||Waste||Procurement|
|Headquarters, Cheltenham||45.12*||Tenant within office space with little or no control of Electricity (lights) or means to measure consumption.||Tenant within office space with little or no control of Gas or means to measure consumption||Tenant within office space with little or no control of Water or means to measure consumption||All travel is based on estimates of mileage and using Defra conversions||Tenant within office space with no means to measure consumption. Waste audit undertaken and assumptions are based on this for the year||Accurate data for procurement areas is not available at this time but adheres to our purchasing policies|
|Scotland Office||11.94**||Desk usage is monitored via socket meters|
** Our Scotland office is part of an open plan office so this figure is calculated based on average FTE space in our Headquarters
- All business activities including staff and Board travel, workstation energy use, home working energy use, travel energy use, waste, water, lighting and heating is recorded
- We have 2 offices, our headquarters at University of Gloucestershire and our Scotland office at Queen Margaret University. As both of our offices are within an institution we shared many services such as postal, telephone and cleaning services as well as utilities
- Due to our shared offices some of our services are controlled by our host institutions such as lighting and water and we are unable to measure these separately. Staff commuting and procurement are not included in the figures
- Our recycling and landfill waste are collected centrally by our host institutions therefore we have an annual waste audit and base an assumptions on this for the year
- We include the travel incurred by our trustees (based on reimbursements so any travel not reimbursed is not included).
- All calculations use UK Government GHG Conversion Factors for Company Reporting