You must be a member to access this resource.
Sarah Thorp, Environmental Projects Officer at Nottingham Trent University, asked the EAUC Educational Members’ Network for opinions and experience with regards the use of electric heaters by staff for supplementary heating:
“A recent PAT testing exercise across NTU‟s estate counted 410 electric heaters currently being used for supplementary heating by our staff! The Environment Team are keen to remove all of these electric heaters and I wanted to know if anyone has completed such an exercise? If so what challenges did you face? How did you go about taking these? How do you ensure that the heaters aren‟t just replaced? Any advice would be much appreciated.”
The query generated responses from 13 Members, offering a diverse range of solutions as well as their experience. They include quick fixes (e.g. institution-wide ban of heaters, heater amnesty that would offer incentives for hand-ins, overnight raids to confiscate heaters), investment options (e.g. in thermostatic radiator valves TVRs, better heating and insulation and double glazing), and education and communication solutions (e.g. through Green Impact programme and EcoChampions).
Become a member
If you join the EAUC you will have full access to member only resources. Follow this link to join the EAUC.
Top Reasons to Join
- Join one of our Communities of Practice - Join a community and get involved. You can meet other like-minded professionals and help promote best practice in your specialist area.
- Receive Sustainability Updates - stay informed and get involved in issues concerning you from our newsletters helping you keep up to date on the latest news from the education and sustainability sectors
- Update Your Skills - get the training you require which is specifically for you and the sector
- Get Connected - Join the Member Network - receive advice and support from your peers across the UK
- Get the Resources You Need - Access tools and resources to help you in your job
- Have Your Voice Heard - stay informed and get involved in influencing the sector to improve performance
- Discounts - save money with member discounts and offers
- Legacy - Make a difference in the professional growth of sustainability and our institutions
- Recognition - Be part of building an example to the world
- Get Linked Up - build national and international partners
If you don't have a paid membership why not join the EAUC.
To view the content of this page current members must login using their membership details.