You must be a member to access this resource.
Does subsidising staff bus fares for bus services that service campuses count as benefit in kind? In response to this question posed by Julia Jack, University of Exeter, on the Educational Members' Network, two Members stated it was benefit in kind while another gave criteria for exemption from benefit in kind.
The question posed:
"The University is looking into subsidising staff single and return bus fares for the 2 bus services that service our Exeter campuses.
I have spoken to our HR department regarding whether subsidising bus fares for these two bus services would count as benefit in kind. They have advised that they have sought the advice of a consultant who has in turn advised that we would need to get confirmation in writing from HMRC that it would not be benefit in kind. This advice would involve a fee from the consultant.
Before I go ahead and approve consultation, has anybody already gone through this process? Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom on this?”
You can download member responses below.
Become a member
If you join the EAUC you will have full access to member only resources. Follow this link to join the EAUC.
Top Reasons to Join
- Join one of our Communities of Practice - Join a community and get involved. You can meet other like-minded professionals and help promote best practice in your specialist area.
- Receive Sustainability Updates - stay informed and get involved in issues concerning you from our newsletters helping you keep up to date on the latest news from the education and sustainability sectors
- Update Your Skills - get the training you require which is specifically for you and the sector
- Get Connected - Join the Member Network - receive advice and support from your peers across the UK
- Get the Resources You Need - Access tools and resources to help you in your job
- Have Your Voice Heard - stay informed and get involved in influencing the sector to improve performance
- Discounts - save money with member discounts and offers
- Legacy - Make a difference in the professional growth of sustainability and our institutions
- Recognition - Be part of building an example to the world
- Get Linked Up - build national and international partners
If you don't have a paid membership why not join the EAUC.
To view the content of this page current members must login using their membership details.