You must be a member to access this resource.
In October 2012 – Carla Shaw, Utilities Officer, Anglia Ruskin University sent an email to the EAUC Educational Members’ Network asking:
“We have had some issues with bike thefts on campus this year and would like to address this. One suggestion is to install a secure lockable bike shed, but our security warned us against this saying that criminals will find a way in and we would need to manage it i.e. issue of keys or keypad. Keys may get lost and not returned to us.
Has anyone experienced similar issues on campus and perhaps any suggestions for us?”
Then in February 2013, Julia Jack, Travel Plan Assistant, University of Bristol emailed with a similar query:
“The University of Bristol is currently reviewing its abandoned bikes policy. The current policy is to tag a bike that has been in the same place for a month or more saying it will be removed after a month if the owner does not move it. After this the bike is placed in University storage for three months and then donated to a charity. The issues we have had are:
that people go on sabbaticals or away for the summer, and, then are upset to find their bike is in storage and their lock is broken on their return and request that the University replaces their lock
it is felt that tagging a bike makes it a target for thieves
Do you have an abandoned bike policy that you are willing to share? Has it worked well?”
The combined EAUC Member responses are below.
Become a member
If you join the EAUC you will have full access to member only resources. Follow this link to join the EAUC.
Top Reasons to Join
- Join one of our Communities of Practice - Join a community and get involved. You can meet other like-minded professionals and help promote best practice in your specialist area.
- Receive Sustainability Updates - stay informed and get involved in issues concerning you from our newsletters helping you keep up to date on the latest news from the education and sustainability sectors
- Update Your Skills - get the training you require which is specifically for you and the sector
- Get Connected - Join the Member Network - receive advice and support from your peers across the UK
- Get the Resources You Need - Access tools and resources to help you in your job
- Have Your Voice Heard - stay informed and get involved in influencing the sector to improve performance
- Discounts - save money with member discounts and offers
- Legacy - Make a difference in the professional growth of sustainability and our institutions
- Recognition - Be part of building an example to the world
- Get Linked Up - build national and international partners
If you don't have a paid membership why not join the EAUC.
To view the content of this page current members must login using their membership details.