Key Elements of Waste Strategy 2000, England and Wales (DETR, 2000)
- to reduce the amount of industrial and commercial waste sent to landfill to 85% of the 1998 level by 2005
- to recover value from 40% of municipal waste by 2005 (45% by 2010 and 67% by 2015) (Recovery includes recycling, composting and energy recovery)
- to recycle or compost at least 25% of household waste by 2005 (30% by 2010 and 33% by 2015)
The strategy sets statutory performance targets for local authority recycling in England. Proposed standards for 2003 are:
- Waste Disposal Authority areas with 1998/99 recycling and composting rates of under 5%, to achieve at least 10% WDA areas that recycled or composted between 5% and 15% in 1998/99 to double their recycling rate
- remaining WDA areas to recycle or compost at least one third of household waste
Standards for each local authority for 2005-6 are published in ‘Guidance on Municipal Waste Management Strategies’ (DETR, 2001).
Further standards will be established for 2010.