Welcome to the London Universities Environmental Group (LUEG)
London Universities Environmental Group (LUEG) was set up to bring together sustainability professionals from London’s Higher (and now Further) Education institutions in order to contribute to achieving sustainable development in the sector in the Greater London Area.
Once a month, the group holds a general meeting focusing on promoting the principles and practices of Sustainable Development within Higher Education Institutions via support to its members on a range of issues.
For those interested in more specific topics, there are five sub-groups set up to discuss current issues and share best practice relating to Carbon Reduction, Sustainable Procurement, EMS, Space Management and Curriculum. Details of these groups can be found through the links to the right hand side of this page.
The Group sees a clear role for itself to contribute to achieving sustainable development in the Higher Education (HE) sector in Greater London and in particular in contributing to achieving HEFCE's vision which the Group shares:
"Our vision is that, within the next 10 years, the Higher Education sector will be recognised as a major contributor to society's efforts to achieve sustainability - through the skills and knowledge that its graduates learn and put into practice, and through its own strategies and operations" - Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), 2005.
The Group aims to do this by:
• Promoting the principles and practices of Sustainable Development (SD) within Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) via support to its members on a range of issues specified in the Terms of Reference
• Identifying and sharing information from members and relevant partners to support the Group aims, including the potential for collaboration with relevant partners, potential funding and events of interest
• Raising and maintaining awareness of the potential for Greater London HEIs to contribute to SD amongst all Greater London HEIs, and with all their stakeholders and wider where appropriate.
Mayor’s Low Carbon Prize
"The London Universities Environment Group (LUEG) is delighted to support the Mayor's Low Carbon Prize. Students across London's Higher and Further Education Institutions are crucial to ensuring London's low carbon economy and this prize is a great incentive for them to showcase their innovation and talent and potentially win support to take these bright ideas to market." To find out more about MLCP click here.
LUEG meetings are planned for the following months in 2016, details will be circulated closer to the time.
- May 2016 - Newham College
- July 2016
- September 2016
- November 2016
|20 January 2016||London School of Economics and Political Science||View the Agenda here|
|8 March 2016||University of London||The Sustainable University of the Future||View the Agenda here|
For subgroup chair contact details please see links for each group on the right hand side of this page
>Dr Victoria Hands
Director of the Sustainability Hub
Head of Sustainability
King's College London
Deputy Director Facilities Services
Institute of Cancer Research
University of Westminster
University of London
Communications Lead buddy
Institute of Education
University of London
LUEG members representative
Sustainability Projects Officer
London School of Economics
FE/HE buddying subgroup chair
South Thames College & Universities and Colleges Union Environment Co-ordinator
Shared Resources Lead
Shared Resources buddy
University of London
How to search for previous discussionsWe know that there are many topics that come up regularly on the discussion networks so here is a quick and easy guide on how to search for previous discussions:
1. Go to https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ and click on ‘Subscribers Corner’
2. Click on the discussion network you would like to search – for example ‘EAUC-Londonregion’ is the list for the LUEG Discussion Network
3. The three ‘Latest messages’ are shown in a box near the top of the page. Click the message to read the entire post.
4. To search the list for a particular topic use the 'Search Archive' box on the right-hand side of the screen. Type the keyword/s you would like to search for and this will bring up a list of all posts containing that word/phrase.
5. You can further refine your search by adding parameters.
|LUEG Membership Registration Form (195Kb) #5300|
|Map of LUEG members (118Kb) #4231|
|LUEG executive structure Oct 2013 (119Kb) #5021|
|LUEG terms of reference Feb 2013 (292Kb) #4236|
|University Halls of Residence - Borough Summary Report 2013 (553Kb) #5374|
|University Halls of Residence - University Summary Report 2013 (582Kb) #5373|